Sunday, August 13, 2006

Good luck for a year!

I had nothing else planned for today so I went to the zoo. I love the butterflies and blooms exhibit. I also went to the new Willawong exhibit where we get to feed the birds. It was not as much fun as I wanted it to be.
Pretty orange butterfly in the butterfly & blooms exhibit.

Globe thistle. We have them growing on campus and I never knew what it was. I really like it.

Feeding the birds. I know that the pic is out of focus, but that's my hand feeding the parakeet. (In retrospect I think that wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be because it was parakeets dammit. I had those growing up.)

Pink hibiscus. I thought it was pretty.

Here's where the title comes from. Have any of y'all read Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself. It is by Judy Blume. I read it a bunch of times when I was a child. Anyway, according to Sally's grandmother, if a bird "plops" on you you'll get good luck for a year. That better be true since I was just minding my own business when plop. I wasn't even in one of the aviaries! I had to field trip through another aviary and into this whole other area just to find a damn bathroom to wash it off. (You'll all be glad that I didn't take a picture pre-wash.) Stupid bird.

These orchids were in the tropical section. They were GIANT.

Me in that same tropical animal section. Go me. :) (Also I like photoshop. I totally fixed the chip in my tooth that I'm self conscious about because I haven't gotten it fixed yet. Which now I've just defeated the purpose of fixing the picture because I've told y'all that the chip is still there. Seriously sometimes I should think. Except I think that I look purple in this picture. I may need to re-edit it.)

I went to the Rose Garden as well. I have wanted to go there for awhile. It was pretty. Apparently there was going to be a wedding some time because there were some chairs set up at the gazebo.

Clearly this is not a rose. I don't know what it is but I liked these pink flowers.

I liked these 2 roses.

An overview of the garden. You can see the gazebo in the background.

3 comments:

DD said...

The bird got you right between "the girls"? I think that means good luck for the bird.

Joanne said...

Ha! I never thought about that. So true. So true.

Kate the Peon said...

OMG I had so forgotten about Sally J Friedman. I read it 150 times if I read it once.