Thursday, August 17, 2006

Dorms!

(Or as Sheesh and Peeved Michelle would correct me, Residence Halls!)

Here is my artist rendering of our dorm suite. There were 4 of us in each suite.

You will notice that Kate and I only have 1 bed. No we weren't participating in subversive lifestyles, Kate would insist upon moving in each year that the beds get bunked. (We actually only lived together a year and 3 quarters. And the moment she moved out the 2nd year, I unbunked the beds... actually I think in a fit of passive agressivity, I did it before she moved out but I digress.) Kate liked the beds bunked because it provided us with more space so she could do her step aerobics in the room. I got locked out daily so she could do it, although usually she did it when I was at class. It would drive her nuts when I skipped and then she'd boot me out. She also would only sleep on the bottom bunk because she couldn't climb up to the top. Also she didn't have the body strength necessary to heft the damn metal beds up to upper bunks so guess who did it. (You know when I type it all out like that she sounds kind of bitchy. She isn't really.) Also, my bedding was that fugly. My mom had a warped sense about sheets and crap and bought it all at an outlet that specialized in irregular crap. It was god awful pink and purple and teal and tacky as shit. She figured if it was obnoxious looking, no one would steal it out of the laundry room. The towels were similar. Sadly, I still use those towels.

The thin rectangle is a closet or a window sill depending. (If it is along the 'top' of the photo it is the window sill. I would use it to climb up onto the top bunk)

The 2 rectangles by the beds were bookshelves and the one in the corner is a dresser. There were also 2 shelves above each bed (well not Kates & mine because of the bunking thing) that I didn't draw in.

In the middle you see the toilet room and sink. Because we were the only dorm on campus with our own bathrooms, we were not given toilet paper. In our own goody 2 shoes act of rebellion, Kate & I were constantly stealing toilet paper from the building next door. Parkas are good for that.

And then the study with the desks. What is not shown is the amount of crap strewn all over Kates & my side. It drove Nicole CRAZY that we were messy.

The room next door was Nicole & Jen. I think they were friends in North Pole before moving in together. I feel like their bedding matched. It was all very Laura Ashley before there was a Laura Ashley collection. Nicole was also very proper, although not quite as prudish as Jen. She did try to talk to us about using those words in front of Jen, but you know how that kind of thing can backfire. :)

4 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I wouldn't correct you. I always called them dorms. I was a rebellious RA.

Kate the Peon said...

The toilet room? You do make me laugh.

Unknown said...

Ah, Wick. I have so many annoying memories of that place. I HATED living with all women. :P

... said...

You had a study room???? We only had the bathroom separating our rooms. My roommate was pretty cool but I became better friends with my suitemate and she and I are still great friends (we even visit each other at least twice a year).

We didn't have the option to create bunk beds but some people would put all four beds in one side and then use the other side as a social room...we never did that.

And it sounds like your roommate was a pain in the ass....