Tuesday, November 29, 2005

It wasn't in the cards

Matty & I have a standing Monday night adventure, (now that Sunday adventures are on hiatus indefinitely). Well, it isn't so much an adventure as it is coffee and cards and sometimes if one or both of is starving dinner. Even though I didn't go to work yesterday, last night was no exception. We walked over to his apartment so he could change into jeans and get the cards (Phase 10 for those who care). I sat in the entry way and waited for him while reading a JC Penney catalog. While there, Andy Warhol (or someone who looked enough like him to make me go what??) came in with his dog who immediately came over to me and sniffed and let me pet it. But the weird part, Andy Warhol just left the dog with me. Eventually it wandered up the stairs of its own accord.

So we head out into the cold (and coming from warm California it was COLD) and go to Tullys for coffee and cards. Except there is no table for us to sit at. Strike 1. So we grab dinner instead at the not so cheap Mexican place near his house. I suggest sitting there and playing cards since it wasn't like there were a lot of people on a Monday night, but he nixes the idea because the old lady loves him.

We finish dinner and walk up to Tulleys. They have tables open but not the comfortable ones, more the ones where we'd be squashed with other people. Strike 2. We head up to Vivace who makes the ginger spiced cider I love so much. We order and they don't point out that they are closing in like 2 minutes until Matty asks. Strike 3. So we wander around the park and drink our hot drinks and look at the new fountains that just scream play in me! (although Matty posits that it is reservoir water and probably not a good idea). Seriously, though, if they aren't meant to be played in they shouldn't have all these cool shallow areas that look ideal if it is a hot summer day. While looking at the fountains, someone is 'singing.' Or warbling. Or yodeling. Whatever it was noise. And then we walk back towards his apartment and I leave him so that I can go home and watch 7th Heaven which he totally doesn't get the appeal of. Silly boy. And so no Phase 10 for us. Next week we'll reserve a table, you know something by a window. :)

No comments: