Wednesday, November 16, 2005

More Sony BS

1 - You've got to be fucking kidding me. Blogger just ate 90% of a post. Fuckers.

2 - As KTP lovingly pointed out, Sony is recalling the CDs that have the content protection software on it. I notice, with some interest, though that the Foo Fighter's CD I was looking at that is listed as content protected by Amazon.com is not on the list that Sony has provided with the software. That means one of two things... 1 - that another company is doing it too or 2 - that that CD doesn't have the same content protection software that the others have. In either event, I'm not buying it until I can have it free & clear. I'm not downloading it from ITunes, because I shouldn't have to. Although, apparently, I'm going to end up joining some music service at some point. I originally thought Launch since I'm already with them, but somehow they have 2 different download versions, one that would just burn it to CD and a different one for MP3 players. Three guesses which is the more expensive monthly option. Does Itunes have a monthly charge? Does iTunes use a different MP3 software (ie would it be an MP3 or some code of its own like a window's media file is) or is it just a straight MP3 playable on anything?

My issue with this still stands, though. Sony is unapologetic about the whole thing and still thinks they have done nothing wrong. They are punishing 100% of their buying public for the potential illegal activities of maybe 10% of the public. They're treating us like criminals and I don't think that's right. I didn't like it when I worked for a company that treated me like a criminal waiting to happen and I sure as hell don't like it from a vendor whose salary my measley CD purchase is helping pay. So, I continue with my Sony boycott and reconfirm my belief that they are shite and I need to avoid them at all possible costs. If only they weren't so fucking huge in the entertainment industry.

3 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I believe that you can only play music downloaded through iTunes on your computer or on an iPod. There is no monthly charge. You buy each song or album individually.

... said...

You can burn anything you download on iTunes to CD too, but you have to make sure that you put the formatting right so that it is not the "Ipod" format. You can also upload it to different types of MP3 players. Like lots of Apple things, they include the other formats as options, you just have to set it.

My BIL (before he had an Ipod) would download to Itunes and burn CDs all the time.

Joanne said...

On the list of things I don't own... CD burner. :)