Monday, February 27, 2006

4 years

That's how long legally your employer has to keep your employment records after you are no longer employed there. Now thanks to computers, a hire date and a term date for you can probably be found fairly easily. But, as I tried to explain to a very nice much older woman, it is impossible for me to truly verify that she worked here in 1977 - 1979. She wouldn't have been entered into any computer programs since they weren't around then and once there were finally programs, why bother entering info on a person who had been gone that long. She seemed to find it a tad disturbing that there was no longer any record of her employment here. Which got me to thinking...

It has been 4 (more like 7) years since I worked in Indiana. Since I never rented or bought property there or paid any bills to utility companies. There's no real record of me living there anywhere anymore. It is like my whole 9 month life there is gone. As is the year I worked in Arizona and we're almost to the point where the 3 years I worked in California are expunged. (I know the CA years won't be because I'm in their databases but you know what I mean.)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

It's like a magic trick...

Hocus Pocus... part of your life didn't formally exist!

I wish I could do that with selected portions of my life.

Mind Sprite said...

If that's the case, my horrible marriage should disappear into the mist any day now ;) Except the credit card bills live on in perpetuity!

Unknown said...

If you filed your tax returns there's more information on you than you'd think.

... said...

That really sucks if you ever need that info. One of my jobs in a previous life required me to have a security clearance and not only do you have to list every place and job you had in the prior ten years, you have to provide information that backs it up.

If you are not in existence during those times any longer, it could make it a bit harder to do. I have been filing tax forms since I was 16 (when I started working) so I think I am stuck in the system forever...