Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Day to think...

(completely unrelated to Thinking Day but why can't the ferrets be trained to bring me a soda? They're supposed to be smart & shit.)

Today was Thinking Day so the girls & I went to a Thinking Day event. Basically each group picked a country and had to do a little presentation of something either from that country or a dance or a story or information about that country. Then we also put up a little display and gave out fortune cookies. I had originally thought of doing more Chinese food wise, but the more I thought about it, the more expensive it was going to be and I just couldn't cope with that. I frequently go to these things and feel like I'm inadequate as a leader. Mostly because I tend to put off until the last minute. In fact for our display, the colored pictures I put up were not done by the kids, but by the cult of the virgins today at lunch. I typed out the story of Lon Po Po (Chinese Little Red Riding Hood) into parts and the girls got to "perform" it. They had a good time and a lot of people complimented them on it. We were really no better or worse than any of the other groups that went up. My girls are hams, what can I say? :)

To suck me further into the world of the Girl Scouts, I've told 2 of the moms that if they can find enough girls, I'd take on their younger daughters in a Daisy troop. It would have to be separate from my current group because of the age gap between my oldest and these little ones. It is way too wide a spread. It takes a minimum of 5 girls to have a troop.

Finally, a cute little tale to end the evening... When I walk home after work, I walk past Lifelong AIDS Alliance. On the block just past their building in the late evening is a van that does needle exchanges. Every year I think that I should stop and give them (the volunteers) a box of cookies. They're stuck out there in the cold for hours exchanging needles with the local junkies to prevent the spread of AIDS. Every year (ok I say that like it has been a lot, it has been 2 years) I don't do it. Tonight as I was dropping off my big display board (which we will reuse dammit) I grabbed a box of mints from my stash (I ordered 10 boxes some of which to give away like this). When I got to the van spot, I walked up to the 2 kids in it and offered them the cookies. At first I didn't say anything just offered the box like a dork. So I told them they could have it and they were both excited. Apparently they're the girl's favorite kind. It was nice. :)

Finally (I know I said finally a minute ago) i just read in the PI that the smoking initiative that passed in November includes the bus shelters. YAY! There's little as obnoxious as trying to stand under one of the little bus canopies and breathing in a lungful of smoke.

Oh finally finally... The Amazing Race is back on! YAY! Although it is currently on against Supernatural which I also love so I missed the first hour. But Supernatural is moving to Thursdays so YAY! :)

7 comments:

Kate the Peon said...

Bus shelters? Like the ones that are not enclosed and are open to the elements and thus, open to fresh air?

Joanne said...

They are partially open. They always have a roof and depending on the shelter they have a back and 2 partial sides. And while, yes, they are somewhat open, the roof keeps the smoke in and they usually are only big enough for about 3 people to stand without getting too friendly. Maybe standard elevator car size.

Unknown said...

Most of them are smaller than standard elevator cars.

Kate the Peon said...

See, if they're that small, I wouldn't smoke in them in the first place.

Peeved Michelle said...

You didn't say anything? That's weird. They probably thought you were a weirdo trying to exchange a box of cookies for a needle.

Joanne said...

Ahh, KTP that's what makes YOU different than a lot of people here. They do smoke in them. Standing right next to other people. It is unpleasant.

I know it was weird I didn't say anything. I don't know why I didn't initially. Shy I suppose.

Mind Sprite said...

I'm excited that Amazing Race is back on too! The hippies crack me up, but I have a feeling they may wear on my nerves. I think I am rooting for the nerd couple. They are just so cute together!