Friday, February 24, 2006

Jodi Picoult

So awhile back I professed my undying love for an author (Jodi Picoult) I had just started to read. (Ok I liked one of her books...). I've started reading more of her books and I'm finding that while I like some of the book, I tend to not like the whole thing.

Perfect Match: I started to read this one and then jumped to the back (I tend to do that.) and didn't like where it ended up. The heroine's son is molested and he claims his priest did it. She, in open court, shoots he priest. She is an ADA, she should know better. So more of the story actually centers around her trial and the justification the heroine feels over shooting the priest. So I didn't finish it. It just pissed me off too much.

Salem Falls: I liked this one actually.

Mercy: I'm currently slogging through this one. Due to Picoult's tendency to write prologues that give away more than you know, I already know the police officer is going to have an affair. I don't know if I'll be able to read this whole thing. I have a pretty strong stance against reading books whose sole story is the affair (hence I won't read Horse Whisperer or that other one, Bridges of Madison County). The story is SUPPOSED to be about this guy (A cousin of the police chief) who has killed his wife who is so riddled with cancer that she is going to die anyway, he just speeds up the process for her because she has asked him to.

I have several others at the apartment to read. We'll see if I actually get to them or not.

7 comments:

Kate the Peon said...

I cried throughout The Pact; would be interested in what you think of it.

Unknown said...

I actually love Jodi Picoult's books. I enjoy the way she takes something that is seemingly cut-and-dried and pulls out the issues that make you rethink your original stance. She takes ethics and twists them around to show the gray areas.

Peeved Michelle said...

I am with Joanne. I never find a gray area when it comes to cheating.

Joanne said...

I will say, she is a really good writer. I am riveted when I read her books, it is just where she ends up going that I get somewhat annoyed. I'm in the 170's of the pact right now. So far I like it (and as my tendency I've already jumped to the back so I know how it comes out and I don't mind where it is going.). I do like that since I read Salem Falls first, I now realize that the defense attorney is the same one in Salem Falls and I liked that this was the case that drives him into semi-retirement. (Which Salem Falls pulls him out of).

I think I was disturbed by Perfect Match because the guy she shot was innocent. Really and totally and wholly innocent. You can't justify that kind of vigilante justice to me.

I skipped the middle part of Mercy because frankly I didn't care to read about the affair, but I did like the way it ended.

Kate the Peon said...

I read part of the end of 'The Pact' before I got there, too, b/c I was dying to know the verdict.

Mind Sprite said...

I never jump to the end because I like to read the book as it unfolds. But if I don't get hooked in the first two chapters, I don't bother with the rest of it. I got My Sister's Keeper on your recommendation, but then the tape player in my car died and I haven't gotten to it. I'll have to return it and get it again later when I have more time. It has an intriguing plot.

Kate the Peon said...

I read Perfect Match this weekend and agree with you - not my favorite.

I just - minutes ago - finished Sister's Keeper. Wow. I still have tears. That was powerful, though I wish she lived.