Sunday, February 12, 2006

Devastation...

For the past 14 years I've worn an aquamarine crystal around my neck. I bought it when I was a freshman in college at the annual holiday fair. I almost didn't buy it but it spoke to me. I had to. I went back 3 times to look at it before commiting to the purchase. I've been wearing it on a leather cord for the past several years because the chain broke and was unrepairable. I've looked for another silver chain, but finding one that was fine enough to fit the necklace and yet still long enough to surround my fat neck was impossible. Today represents the last day I will wear it. It's gone. I pulled off my jacket after going to the library and noticed a black string hanging off my t-shirt. It wasn't a black string, it was my leather cord. The crystal is gone. I walked back to the bus stop head bowed trying to find it, but I didn't. It could be on the bus or at the library and I'll figure out how to submit a lost & found item but in reality, it doesn't look good. I feel weird without it now, like something's missing.

4 comments:

... said...

Sorry Jo, I hate when that happens. Hope you find it.

Peeved Michelle said...

Poor lost aquamarine. I hope it isn't scared.

Jodi said...

So sorry. That sucks. Hopefully you'll find it and if not, maybe a close replacement.

Stephen said...

OMG :(

I know that feeling. I've lost a handful of little trinkets: earrings, rings, toerings, anklets, silly things.

And yet each one has been a bit of a heartwrencher. I've got a story about losing something special, but I haven't made it public yet. I need to find the time...