Monday, March 01, 2004

Hmm... liberalness vs ...what?

So while I was working on the webpage design today for work, I came across this link. http://www.metrokc.gov/sheriff/sosch.htm Apparently, I can put in my zip code and discover how many registered sex offenders there are in my zip code area. Of course I did and discovered a whole slew of level 2 and level 3 sex offenders registered in my zip. Now level 2 are a moderate risk of reoffending. And Level 3 are the most likely to reoffend and "commonly have clear indications of a personality disorder." There is this whole spiel about how there are only 150 level 3 in all of king county. This should make me feel better, BUT when I do a level 3 search 5 of them come up in my zip code. Once I add in 98122 (which is SU's zipcode and the zipcode for Broadway), I come up with 36ish additional level 3s. Here's where I'm troubled. The liberal part of me believes that a person can and should be able to live anywhere they want. These people have paid their debt to society and have earned the right to go back into the world blah blah blah... HOWEVER as a female who walks to and from work every day and to and from the bars every night frequently alone.... this troubles me more. It is like the reality of city living is now here. I mean, I've walked through the park at night and been less than comfortable but it has never been a big deal. Now it is like, hey, it could be a big deal. It troubles me that this troubles me because seriously, what are the odds? Not huge. I've lived here a year and a half now with no incidents of anything bad, and probably with a low to completely negligible probablity of anything happening. Now it is more like 'Hey, there ARE bad people out there... and look at how many live close to your house!" It is like when the crack bust happened when I lived in crackhouse row... Suddenly I was very aware of the fact that it WAS crackhouse row. Now I'm not going to freak out or overreact or anything, but it dos make me stop and think a little more than I would've before, which I guess is the whole point according to the sherriff's office.

No comments: