Monday, March 08, 2004

more on finances

Bryan and I used to do our finances differently than we do now. The reason was that we combined our finances before we actually got married. Now, I wasn't expecting anything to go wrong, but you never know with these things.

We used to have a shared checking account that we both put an equal proportion of our paychecks into (like 70%) to pay all the bills. ALL the bills: his car, my car, everything. Then we each had separate accounts for the remainder of our checks which was our spending money. This didn't work for very long though because Bryan didn't like the fact that I had more spending money than he did since I made more money. He didn't care that I made more money than him, he just thought it wasn't fair. His problem was money management. He would offer to pay for stuff when we were out together and I would let him. I figured he wouldn't offer if he didn't have the money. I was wrong. At the end of every pay period, I would be giving him money for gas.

Now we have two checking accounts, each at a separate bank. One account is for bills and the other is for spending and we both share the spending account. Since I am in charge of the bills, he doesn't really touch the bills account without asking me first. The only problem with this scenario is that since he doesn't have any account of his own, it is nearly impossible to get me surprise gifts.

No comments: