Sunday, March 07, 2004

VolunteerFest 2004

Ugh. I am tired! I have finished the last of the weekends volunteer tasks and am now sitting on my sofa watching TV, eating left over Chinese food and looking around thinking, I'll never get this clean by Friday.

Thursday: A service unit meeting for the Girl Scouts. No big deal. Most people didn't show up. Got some ideas for the encampment without having to actually commit to anything yet. :)
Friday: Volunteered at the Paramount for the musical Oklahoma. Sat around for almost an hour waiting for them to tell us what our assignments were. I don't like that time wasting thing that I seem to have gotten into this weekend. If y'all didn't need us until closer to 7:15, why tell us to be there at six:45? Annoying... and an ongoing issue.
Saturday: We have a cookie site sale at a Hollywood Video store. I catch the bus at 12:30 and am on my way. Get there at quarter to one. Stand around outside of Hollywood Video (which for some reason in my mind is Holiday Video) for like 20 minutes. As I stand there, I'm getting madder and madder. Where are these parents? Why are they always late? Then it dawns on me. I'm an idiot! Our site sale time is from 2 to 4 not 1 to 3! Arrgghh! Logically, there is not enough time to catch the bus and go back to home then to come back so I go into Starbucks and have a cocoa. The girls show up at the right time and we have a pretty good time selling. Since there are 2 other major stores right there, my cookie mom gets us spots at all the stores and we spread out. In less than our 2 hour time, we sell 136 boxes of cookies. We sold out! That was a nice feeling. We have 2 more site sale days coming up and this will be good!
Sunday: Firefighter stair climb. I get up at the butt crack of dawn on a Sunday morning and wander down the hill to the Bank of America tower. I get there by my required time... 8:00 am. I am told to hang out until 8:30. At 8:30 I go to the registration table where I'm supposed to be working and am told to wait until 8:45. You know, they could've just told us to get there at 8:30. That would've been fine. Let me just say about the firefighter stairclimb, YUM. Hotties. It wa a lot of fun and it is a good cause (Leukemia and Lymphoma foundation). I didn't get to take home a hottie firefighter boy though. I just left because I have to get some things done. Maybe a nap. :)

No comments: