Sunday, May 22, 2005

I am a damn fine cook!

Yay! I made chocolate chip muffins. I've been fiddling with the instructions on the box for quite some time. Gluten Free baked goods tend to be crumbly because the gluten is what holds the item together. We use other things in the mix to help with it, xanthan gum being the most common. But xanthan gum is expensive and if you use it incorrectly, you can create a disgusting gummy mess. I did once with chocolate chip pan cookies. They were like chocolate chip taffy. Strangely enough Volodiya thought it tasted great. Boys will eat anything! Anyway, tonight's incarnation of the muffins had 2 containers of vanilla yogurt instead of milk and butter flavor crisco instead of regular butter. I think this may be the best batch yet! I'll know more tomorrow after they've cooled completely. That's where I get the brittleness from.

I went to put the pizza dough on my pan and the pan tipped over and flipped upside down, throwing the pizza dough on the floor. I picked it up, but GF pizza dough is very sticky so every little microid of dirt that was on the floor, and a leaf from my tennis shoes ended up on there. I had to chuck it. Luckily, I had another mix and everything I needed. Usually I use milk and butter, but this time I used water and oil. The instructions say they can be used interchangeably. I'm about to taste the results. Damn! I hate it when I bite into the pizza before it is cool enough and I burn that little spot right behind my incisors. But definitely yum! Someday I'll make Alex a good little wife. ;) You know, or as yet unmet straight man. :D

1 comment:

... said...

I know this will seem like a stupid question considering how long I have been reading your blog, but why the "gluten free". Are you allergic or do you just choose to avoid it? Curiousity got the best of me...forgive me?