Monday, January 09, 2006

A good conversation with a credit card company??

Who knew that was possible. So after I had a mini panic attack over some news about minimum payments going up. Which in retrospect I realized that they have to alert you to these changes like a month or 2 in advance. Although, honestly, I never look at those little things they send me in the mail, but I digress. I started looking into what was really happening with my credit card accounts. I discovered a couple of alarming things, the first being that the card I always thought had the lower interest rate has a freakishly high interest rate. That's 100% my fault, I confess. The payment is due on the 28th usually and I don't get paid until the last day of the month, you can guess the rest. So I'm always like 2 days late with that one which means they've jacked up my rate. I also looked at my other card and realized it had a higher credit limit than I previously thought. It also has a lower interest rate, so I figure I'm going to transfer Card 1's balance to card 2. (And obviously stop using card 1, except this weekend and only for the rental car because Card 1 gives me car insurance protection that I don't get with Card 2 and that I don't have because I don't have a car, but I digress. I'll pay that 40 something bucks off at the end of the month.)

So I called Citibank (I'll plug them because I had a good experience) and ask to lower the interest rate. He can do it! He lowers it to like 15%. So then my 2nd question is can I change reward programs because I'm currently on the car reward program and I never will use that, I think I ended up on it by accident. So he asks what program I'm interested in and signs me up with one of those cash back programs. Yay! AND (can you believe it gets better?) my interest rate lowers to 13%! Holy crap! He said that by changing programs I give up like being a 'charter member' of the Driver's Edge program (like that does anything) and the diamond designation (like that means anything either) but whatever in 1 phone call I lost 5% of interest for this card and when I switch over Card 1's balance I cut my interest in 1/2. These are all good things.

Oh and originally was going to bitch because the guy was not American so I was thinking that it is just awful that Citibank has outsourced their customer care and I should be against that. But after he was so helpful I can't be upset about that.

4 comments:

... said...

Good for you Joanne...

Kate the Peon said...

Yay for good news!

Although he could be non-American and not outsourced...but I'm guessing you knew that and so it's not the case. :)

Joanne said...

The background noise and the really bad connection made me think it was outsourced. Although it is entirely possible it wasn't.

Unknown said...

When you cancel the other card, make sure they note that it was canceled "per customers request" (or something like that). It looks better on your credit report that way.