Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Namaste

Today I took a yoga class. This is the first class I've ever taken and I kind of liked it. Some things were really hard for me. I can barely do the downward dog. I just don't have the upper body strength and abs to hold myself up like that. There was one other pose that I had a hard time with, but mostly because my fat belly got in the way. That is, I noticed, a problem. I also had a harder time breathing upside down. The other bad part, afterward I felt a tiny bit nauseous. That was a little unpleasant. But I'm determined to keep going with it. I think it will help me strengthen my body a lot.

Apparently it was a good thing I went, though. The class I'm taking is free because it is part of the Academic Salons we offer. I figured it would be crowded, but it wasn't. In fact they were getting ready to cancel the classes altogether because for the past couple of weeks only the person who organized the Salons and the instructor were there. She was thrilled that I had shown up and then 2 more people came so that was even more exciting. Now they will keep the classes going, which is good for me since the price is right. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I did yoga for about a year and loved it. For awhile, I was going 2-3 times a week and it was amazing how strong I felt. It looks all slow and relaxing but damn it's hard work! My favorite part was always at the very end when we got to lie on our backs for 10 minutes and do nothing :) I'm still looking for a good yoga class here for the right price.

Anyway, congrats on your first class! You'll get the downward dog soon enough.

P'nut said...

Ditto, exactly, on what Kyra said. And I really loved that it was able to help a lot with my mood... I was a lot calmer when I was doing yoga. I really started getting into the meditation aspect of it.

Hang in there, you'll find it very rewarding. I'm looking to join another class, but I'm finding that I'm lost my flexibility since gaining weight,too, so it'll be a hard road back but I know it will be worth it.

Jodi said...

The great thing about yoga (which I used to do regularly, but haven't for awhile) is that everything can be modified for your body type, strength, flexibility, etc. I was going to a class at my gym awhile back and had a great teacher who would help people modify as needed.

Keep it up. You may just inspire me to go back!

... said...

I have a couple of awesome DVDs for yoga that I used to do a lot when I was in Japan but just have not gotten motivated to do lately...I do need to get back into it though, and you are a bit of an inspiration.

Way to go Joanne...stick with it, you'll love it.