Friday, January 20, 2006

It's going to be a great day!

This morning as I was got off the bus at my office, I happened to look up and see the church spiral for this church that's up by my house and I had this feeling of deep contentment and kind of surprise. In that moment I couldn't believe that I lived here. I am so lucky to get to live in a place I really like (29 days in a row of rain notwithstanding). I have a job I enjoy with people I like. I have remade some friends and made some new ones. This morning I really felt like life was good.

Matty don't read the next part (the blue text). (But FYI I've just realized another reason to never date or sleep with a bisexual man, I wouldn't be able to donate blood ever if I did.)

I'm warning you.

You won't like it...


I donated blood this morning with my coworker. I used to do it all the time and then I moved up here and stopped. And then I got a tattoo and couldn't because you can't do it for 1 year after getting one. So now I'm donating again. It makes me very happy to donate blood for 2 reasons. One, I'm glad I'm doing something for others and I know how important blood is. My sister donates platelets whenever she can and in that, they take her blood out, whip it around to its separate parts and then put the plasma and red blood cells back without the platelets. I've found that when you have had someone in the past who was really sick with a condition that required a lot of treatment, you find yourself wanting to do more to give back because you realize on a different level how important it really is. Like I've always known it was important and I used to do it all the time, but now I have a different understanding of the importance, but I digress. The other reason I like to donate blood... I have an unholy fascination with blood. It is amazing stuff to me and I like to watch the bag fill up and I like to watch them fill the vials for testing of it. Seriously, sometimes I think I should go back to school to be like a phlebotomist or something like that. I like to look at it under microscopes. I just find it so fascinating! You have to consider, it is so amazing, it courses through your entire body and does all these neat and wonderful things. Maybe blood is my religion. :)


MATTY, You can read now! It is safe!

So so far today has been a great day! I have to go to the library after work to return and pick up some books. I am going to a party this evening which I hope will be fun, although several members of the cult of the virgins will be there. Including the Italian guy who I ate lunch with all by myself the other day and I didn't kill him and that's progress.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I like to give blood as I know how needed it is. I'm actually a "donor buddy" at work and I get special calls because of properties of my blood.

I can't watch though. Ew. I ask them to place gauze over that big needle in my arm and I can't look at the bag. I can look at other peoples', but not my own.

In high school and early college, I didn't weigh enough to donate. Ha! That is so not the case now it's sad!