Thursday, January 12, 2006

On being single

I can admit it, sometimes it would be nice not to be single. I know we always talk about the grass greener and all that jazz, but seriously, sometimes it would be nice not to just be an island all the time. Somehow, though, whenever I get to thinking this way too much, fate reminds me that it could be worse. I've been talking recently with someone I know we'll call Jane. Jane has a boyfriend we'll call John. Jane & John haven't been together that long I don't believe. John was recently away for a trip and Jane commented that she missed him etc. We were talking about their relationship and Jane let it slip that she and John weren't that compatible in bed. So then I say "Oh well you must have great conversations." "Not really," is her reply. So now I'm at a loss. So I say rather exasperatedly "So is he just a warm body?" There's no answer to that question. "He is interesting," she offers. Now I realize there are many other facets to a relationship than sex and conversation, but if you don't have at least one of those what's the point? Well and really in the long run you need both of those to work out to make the relationship work. The yeti & I had neither, and he was 'interesting' and we all know how well that worked out. So I guess what I'm trying to say with my long winded story is that I would rather have no one than someone I'm just sticking with because he is there and I don't want to be alone. Because that's just the wrong reason.

4 comments:

Mind Sprite said...

That is very wise. I was in just the same mind set when I met my wonderful partner, so you never know.

... said...

I agree.

Peeved Michelle said...

It's the wrong reason to marry someone or even to stay with them for more than about six months, but it's enough of a reason to keep someone around for some temporary canoodling and half-conversations.

Joanne said...

Yeah but if the sex isn't good what's the point of even keeping them around for that?

(How can I be rejected for improperly word verifying a comment on my own blog?!)