Wednesday, January 11, 2006

To Quote Ralph Wiggam "I am smart, S-M-R-T"

This morning I was buying 2 cent stamps from my boss. (He had purchased a ton of them I don't know why). I knew I needed 20 of them because I had a full book of new stamps to buy the extra for. So I hand him $2.00 because in my mind that was the amount I had to pay. Coworker asked me how I came up with 2.00 because even with my bad math that added a decimal place, 2*20 = 40... Here's how it came about. When I had been thinking about buying stamps I had it in my head that I needed 10 and that would cost me $1.00. So then by this random logic if I needed 20 that would be double and be $2.00. Clearly not smart.

This story gets worse though, (as if that was possible.). I had purchased a Thank You card to send to Michelle's mom for a Christmas Present. (The Fabulous Fraggle Rock DVD's). It is all sappy and she'll appreciate it. I have written in it. I put the stamps on it. I put my return address label on it. And I dropped it in the box. Now if you read the list of things I did, there is one glaring omission. I never addressed it to her mom. Luckily I just tossed it in the bin in the office and the mail guy had just picked it up so I managed to get it and put the address on it but man I would've been pissed if it had been returned to me.

6 comments:

... said...

I bought new stamps and some two cent ones to cover my old ones a few weeks ago (actually right after I found out they were going up).

Anyhow, I guess I am the only one because on Monday the 9th, I stood in a huge line at my PO to pick up a package and everyone else was in line to buy one or two 2 cent stamps. I don't know why they didn't have them in the machine, and I am not sure why people didn't just forgo the line and buy some new 39 cent stamps out of the machine...they all just waited.

I could have been selling the extra 2 cents I have outside of the post office for profit...haha.

Peeved Michelle said...

Instead of buying two-cent stamps, I have just been doubling up on the old ones. A waste of money? Yes. Avoiding the irritation of buying two-cent stamps? Even bigger yes.

Jodi said...

Why didn't they just make it 40 cents anyway? I'll probably go the Michelle route and then buy new 39 cent ones!

Kate the Peon said...

PM, I've been doing the same thing.

Joanne said...

If I had to go to a regular post office I would have just gone the Michelle route. But I was originally going to go to the on campus post office and there's never anyone there.

Mind Sprite said...

I do that all the time. Whenever the mail room gets an envelope that is not addressed, they automatically bring them to me first. 99% of the time, they were mine.