Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Affordable?

When I got home last night, there was a flyer in my box for apartment rentals that are affordable and luxurious and given my current apartment dilemma (oh who am I kidding... I always make a big deal out of shit that turns out to be nothing but I digress) I eagerly opened it up. Great... One bedrooms start at $688 and this includes utilities. My current apartment's base rent is $695 plus utilities at $50 and my storage unit that houses empty boxes for my next move at $10. (And with that you know exactly how much rent I pay each month). So this is cool until I realized that this is for lower income folks. According to the flyer you have to make less than $27k annually. Now this seemed kind of high to me. Doing the math and taking out for taxes the person would have less than $1,000 per month to live on for everything else in their lives. That somehow doesn't seem like enough to me.

Unrelated, or related depending... I have been buying these chocolate chip cookies from a health food store in Northgate. They are frozen and all I have to do is bake them. They are DELICIOUS. I LOVE them. I bake 4 at a time and eat two at night and two in my lunch. I just noticed, because clearly I'm an idiot, they are $8.00 a dozen. That's $.66 per cookie! I eat $2.64 per day in cookies alone. It is no wonder I need poor person's housing (for which I don't qualify anyway).

3 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

ohmygodilovecookies

Robin said...

Aren't they gluten free? Of course they cost $.66 each.

Kate the Peon said...

I would love that kind of rent! When I lived in Milwaukee in 2000, my rent for a ghetto apt (that I adored, maybe b/c it was my first) was $425 plus utilities. When I moved down here, I tried to find a place for $600 (and freaked out about that) before being told that I couldn't find anything for that money.

They were right, too. Bastards.

Rent (mortgage, whatever) should be about $30 of income. Not sure if that's net or gross.