Tuesday, January 23, 2007

To Ipod or not to Ipod that is the question...

I'm getting a tax refund. The bulk of it is going to my friend American Express. I am saving out a bit of it for something fun for me and for a new pair of tennis shoes. (I know a wild life I lead).

I'm considering purchasing a new MP3 player... quite possibly an ipod. I've been against buying a new one for awhile. I don't believe in replacing something with a newer model just because it is the newest latest and greatest. If there were absolutely nothing wrong with Pip (my current mp3 player) I'd probably consider it and then move on, but Pip has developed an issue. The headphone jack is damaged and it only plays into one ear of the headphone. (I know this is usually a headphone issue, but I've tested the headphones and they both work on other products.) Pip will also ONLY play MP3s and the newer music downloads do into WMAs or some other type that I can't then translate into MP3 despite having the software to do it because they are protected. I do know I could go to all of mp3s dot com and even pay less but I am vaguely troubled by their questionable legality. If I'm actually paying for the damn track, I want to know that the track is fully legal and if I'm going to get busted for illegal music it won't be for something I actually paid money for. :) But my issue with the ipod is two fold... (And it can be attributed to the fact that i've only ever worked 1 ipod so I could just not know stuff.) I don't like the dial. Mine has buttons and I prefer that. It also seems like there's no way to just listen to a random selection of whatever music is on it. Like if you listen to the stuff in the folders you're stuck in whichever folder you're in. (There could be a way I don't know about). And although it is being a sheep, I've never had an issue with following a trend I like and I kind of like all the accessories that are available for the ipod. So I put it to y'all... your thoughts?

6 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

You can listen to random stuff in your whole library or you can listen to just a single folder or playlist randomized. I love my iPod Mini, but I haven't ever had another MP3 player. I have never had one single problem with it. The only reason I would replace it would be to get a video iPod.

Kate the Peon said...

I've become addicted to my Nano in barely a month.

Not sure if that helps or not. :)

Chicken said...

I LOVE my Nano and using Itunes is a piece of cake. We download all of our CDs into it, make play lists, and move them to the Ipod. My husband buys Itunes cards so he doesn't over spend since he has gone off before.

... said...

I have a shuffle (which is a good size for me for the gym, exercise, and travel). It will play in order or in shuffle. There is no display on the shuffle. It charges by connecting directly to the USB port on the computer like a thumb drive.

My husband has one of the originals with 15 gb which also will shuffle and has a dial and a display. The dial is not bad...there is a button to lock it so it doesn't move when you don't want it to. We have most of our CDs loaded on it and it is great for road trips and he uses it at the gym but it is a bit heavy for the gym.

My sister and mom have Nano's and love them. Small for the gym, have displays but I don't know if they have dials or not. I believe they do both shuffle or playlists. Not as big as the regular Ipod but bigger than my shuffle.

Unknown said...

I have a video iPod and I love it.

Kate the Peon said...

Nanos do have dials. You can also buy covers/cases for them to protect the screens that have nifty clips on the back so you can hook it into your belt or whatever while on Sunday adventures. :)