Friday, January 05, 2007

The Family Stone

Have any of y'all watched this movie? I'm going to spoil it for you if you haven't, so you may want to stop reading now....

Ok I warned ya. I watched this tonight on fancy pants cable. I did not like it. I wanted to like it. It seemed like it could be funny or charming or whatever. SJP winning over the family. But once the sister showed up I knew it would go in the direction it went. The way Dermont Mulroney looked at her... You know boyfriend swapping was going to happen. And that was just icky. And I'm not sure if SJP was supposed to be this total bitch, but I mostly felt really bad for her. They were all so mean to her and so unwilling to even think that perhaps she might have good qualities. Although when she started dating the brother suddenly she was okay? I don't get it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, it was way too predictable. I still cried like a baby at the end, though.

Poppy said...

It exceeded my expectations, and I actually recommended it on my 2006 movie watching list. I wonder if it's because it made me cry, too. Hmm.

Joanne said...

I must be hard hearted. It did not make me cry at all. You knew she was going to die and in all honesty I found her family so damn offensive that I wasn't sad for them either. The only family member I found remotely nice was Ben, the brother SJP ended up with. The one she was engaged to was weak. He didn't back her up at all and, at least during the conversation about sleeping arrangements, made it seem like she was the nut job. The baby sister was a total and complete bitch. The gay one was ... annoying and the pregnant sister was barely there.