Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Pictures middle of the road...

Apparently there's a limit to the amount of pics one can load into blogger so the photos are actually broken up into 3 posts...

Midday Saturday, I went to town with the marrieds. We walked around downtown and I took some pictures. There's a famous 'sea creature' (Jake the Alligator Man, I'm not linking to it because I find it creepy) that I have seen bumper stickers for that actually is housed in Long Beach. And I saw it at Marsh's Free Museum. We went back to the house and I ate and then went back out with the singles. :) We walked down the boardwalk and got ice cream.

This is a giant frying pan. I don't know why they have a giant frying pan in the downtown area, but they do.


Near the giant frying pan are these wood carvings of sea creatures. There were other random wood carvings around the downtown area including a giant Razor Clam and Lewis & Clark statue.


Long Beach claims to have the world's longest beach. We don't know how that could be because like Hawai'i is an island and wouldn't it have a long beach? (Although according to Wikipedia it isn't even close to being the longest beach in the world.)


Whale skeleton. It beached itself at some point in the past and they originally buried it. But some science group encouraged the digging of it up and setting it out. I can't even begin to imagine how gross it must've smelled when they dug it up.


Me in my new jeans. :) In front of a whale statue near the whale skeleton. (oh I'm also wearing my new Danskos because when I was getting my stuff together I was thinking I hate my tennis shoes so I'll just wear these, not thinking about walking on the beach or anything like that. So I have to say these danskos rock the house. They walked on the beach and about 3 weeks ago I waded in shin deep water in them so they are tough as heck.) :)


"Let's go Fly a Kite. Up to the highest height...." I was so excited on Sunday morning. I bought a kite on Saturday night and on Sunday morning I headed out to fly it. All 3 mornings I was the first one up so I had some nice alone time. Saturday and Sunday morning I headed out to the beach early to see what I could see. So this is my kite flying above the ocean.


Here I am so proud of getting it up. There was a person trying to get a sport or stunt kite up near me and they couldn't get it into the sky. That made me laugh a bit. Now that I own a kite, I can take it to the park and fly it there. Yay! I've wanted to take a kite to kite hill (Sand Point Magnussen Park) for awhile now.


Aww poor kite fell on the ground. Isn't it cute though? :)


On Sunday the marrieds stayed at the house while the singles went to visit the light houses. There are two in the area, Cape Disappointment and North Head. We were able to climb up the stairs to North Head and this is from up there looking down at my friend. (In the purple jacket. The dog couldn't come up.)

(The third installment will have some more pics from the light houses and some other stuff.)

No comments: