Sunday, May 20, 2007

Best laid plans

Y'all know how I do that thing where I have what I consider to be a brilliant idea and it doesn't work out the way I thought or hoped? Yeah. I hate it when that happens.

My latest flash of brilliance came about last night while watching the netflix dvd of The Office. I love the episode "The Injury" so much I wanted it for my ipod. So I thought, really, how big can it be? (heh 228MB in case you care.) So I order it on itunes without knowing the size and see it start. Ok Holy cow. On my dial-up this will take 12 hours. Well, I reason, I'll just let it run overnight and then in the AM I'll have this episode that I love so much and it will be on my ipod and all will be happy. Right?

Well, apparently not right. My dial-up disconnects after 8 hours. Do you know how fucking close I was to finishing the download at 8 hours??? More than 1/2 way. So I restart without thinking about another 8 hours and go back to bed. (Since it was like 6 the first time I woke up.) I figured that what had already downloaded would still be there. And apparently the download starts all over again. When I get up about 2 hours later, I'm nowhere near where I was before. Well okay, I think. Probably that didn't work because it had disconnected accidentally, but there's a "pause" downloading. So in my brilliance, I pause the downloading to test my theory and then log off and then log back on. And it starts all over again. Sigh.

So... Ultimately I give up altogether and pack up Sampson and Pica and walk to my office building. There we have fast fast wireless. :) Yay for fast fast wireless. :D I start the download over and allegedly 20 minutes later but once I moved to a better spot less than 5 minutes later I have "The Injury" on Pica. Yay. (I also download a new game for Pica, Cubis2 in case you care.) (Oh and whilst here I downloaded another computer game for the computer itself. Seriously, I could do this like every weekend.)

1 comment:

Jodi said...

"I enjoy having breakfast in bed. I like waking up to the smell of bacon ----- sue me -- and since I don’t have a butler, I have to do it myself. So most nights before I go to bed I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman Grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious. It’s good for me. It’s the perfect way to start the day. Today I got up, I stepped onto the grill and it clamped down on my foot. That’s it. I don’t see what’s so hard to believe about that…"