Monday, May 07, 2007

It is good for my heart in more ways than 1

So I volunteer a ton, as y'all know. But now I just received an email about an article about how good it is for your health to volunteer 2 hours a week. (More than that is superfluous... good to know. I can cut back. :D ) Apparently it can cut my odds of heart disease, depression, and increase my longevity. Yay! From the article:
"There is now a convergence of research leading to the conclusion that helping
others makes people happier and healthier. So the word is out – it's good to be
good. Science increasingly says so,” said Dr. Stephen Post, a professor at the
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and co-author of the
forthcoming book “Why Good Things Happen to Good People: The Exciting New
Research That Proves the Link Between Doing Good and Living a Longer, Healthier,
Happier Life."


Here's the article. It does seem to indicate that a lot of these studies were done on people over 65, but whatever. It can apply to me too. :) (So all the bad things I do to my heart by eating bacon and hash browns every morning I can totally volunteer away!)

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I call it 'karma'.

But I'm a dirty hippy ;)

Jodi said...

Great news! I'm getting back into doing volunteer work. Some at a local theater. And some volunteer work with my Therapy Dog, Rusty. We haven't done any for awhile, but will be going to a center for abused kids very soon.