Monday, May 14, 2007

What to say...

Remember my friend who died suddenly last year? They are putting together a memory book for her son. I'm struggling with what to say. I hate this kind of thing. I am not that type of person. But even moreso I feel sad that the person putting together the project had to come around and ask because she needs more memories. Somehow that is even sadder to me. Time has passed. People get busy. The funeral was a packed house (and honestly the saddest funeral I've ever been to. When my sister died that was sad in one way personal to me, but this was sad in a whole other way. Perhaps because my sister didn't die suddenly. She'd been sick for a very long time.) and so I know people feel about this. Maybe they're like me and just staring at the monitor trying to make the words come.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Whenever I am around a funeral or a passing acquaintance, I still think about my uncle ~ passed in 2003.

The memories are still there, although I guess they fade a tiny bit. But regardless, the tears don't really subside.

ren said...

i know what you mean. when called on to do such a thing i always try to go with a funny story, the kind that makes someone laugh and then say "oh that's so true!" sometimes, for me, heartfelt just doesn't come across that way.