Monday, May 14, 2007

Cedar River Watershed

Sunday we went to the Cedar River Watershed. It was awesome. Basically it is where all of Seattle's fresh water comes from. There's also a hydroelectric power plant there (although the amount of power generated is minimal). It was really beautiful there. There were these houses built in the 1900s that the engineers lived in. The whole area was so untouched. Seriously it was awesome. Although it was also very cold outside. Stephen came along,and I think he may have caught frostbite. Poor boy was shivering.

A pretty flower. I think it is a dogwood, but I could be wrong.


Rattlesnake Ridge. There are no rattlesnakes on our side of the Cascades (Cascades?) but apparently a certain flower that we do have a lot of has a seed pod that when it blows in the wind it sounds like a rattlesnake. There were actually people up at the top of that. I know there's a hiking trail to get up there and I'm sure the view is AMAZING but you ain't getting my ass up there. :)
Stephen on the dam.
The Cedar Falls waterfall. Isn't it pretty. The picture doesn't really do it justice. The water was so incredibly blue. Like a crayon it was so perfectly blue. There was a better platform to take the pictures from but during the great windstorm we had, it was damaged beyond stability.

This is Chester Morse Lake. Basically, this is where Seattle's water hangs out. We are one of only a few cities that have unfiltered water come to us because of this watershed. (It does get treated but it doesn't require filtration as part of its treatment.) Boston, NYC, Portland and a couple other places who I have forgotten are the only cities in the US whose water is that pure.

The view from the dam. The dam has a name but I've already forgotten it. The lake on the other side is our water as well. The dam is what generates the power. There were two times in the history of the dam where the dam destroyed towns. Hence, the lake is only allowed to get so high before the city has to reduce the water in it.
The lake view from the dam.
Me in front of Rattlesnake Ridge.

The group that went.

Roots of a tree that was overturned. It was just so amazingly interesting and pretty to me.

Don't jump, Stephen!

1 comment:

Stephen said...

My gawd, your pics are gorgeous :)

Of course, I look like a freakin freak in that first one ~ smiling something fierce. The second one is better, cuz I didn't know you took it *snicker*

Thanks for taking me ~ I feel teh laem for making ya wait. But I feel so very special for ya waiting...