Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ruminations on a variety of topics

Alcohol - Didja know that you can't buy alcohol over the internet. Well you can buy absinthe but why on earth would I buy my almost 21 year old nephew that for his birthday. Seriously I don't want my already geeky nephew to become THAT guy. :)

Movie - I am watching The Breakup. So far it feels uncomfortable and I'm not 100% sure I'm going to watch the whole thing. But I will say that based on what I've seen thus far (and I'm only at the bowling team thing) the initial escalation of the whole thing is 100% Gary's fault. The pool table thing was a completly bad idea. [Ok I've watched more and now I'm confused.] Is this movie supposed to be a rom/com? If so, I'm not seeing it. I can't actually figure out what genre it is supposed to be. Weird that. Ok, so why don't they end up together? Isn't that what we want out of a chick flick? [Eep! Stephen, some weird group is singing Rainbow Connection at the end of the movie. It is just wrong...]

Homebuying - I went to a seminar on land trusts as a way to buy a home tonight. I'm about $300 away from no longer qualifying so I probably will not apply. It was interesting. I had a couple of other concerns as well. Firstly, it limits the amount you get back on the future sale of the house. This I can respect and I'm not wholly against but the model they use doesn't really allow for housing growth. So if I were to buy a condo using their trust the amount of money I'd get back may not get me into a place where I could buy a new place. And since it is only for first time home buyers I'd be screwed for my next home purchase. (If I needed to expand due to familial expansion.) My other concern is a little more neurotic but it has to do with the fact that I feel kind of like if I were to end up getting assistance, I would be taking away from someone who really needs it more than I do, you know? In the meeting there were people from a variety of walks of life, but they all just seemed to need the financial assistance more than I do.

A long and possibly convoluted story involving littlehands - Finally, here's a question (if you've read this far I'm impressed). Littlehands and I have a friend who I have mentioned before, I usually call her roommate because she was littlehands' roommate. She was dating a guy for awhile and then he stopped calling, texting etc. And rarely answered her stuff. (How assy is that?!) So in the midst of this littlehands was fooling around on myspace and found what she thought was his female bff. (BFF had no pics on her page to verify that it was who she was). Littlehands and all of us really had had dinner with boyfriend and bff and roommate at some point. So littlehands messages her with a Hi. BFF messages back with do I know you? And littlehands replies that she thought that bff was this girl we met and littlehands was sorry for disturbing the person if she was wrong. Littlehands never heard back from the person and honestly forgot about it. Apparently roommate and (now ex) boyfriend have been communicating again and she just found out that littlehands had messaged bff. Roommate has FLIPPED OUT. She screamed at littlehands and is not sure she can be friends with her anymore. So littlehands gets that she probably shouldn't have messaged the bff, especially because apparently bff and now exboyfriend all decided amongst themselves that it was really roommate asking littlehands to do it and not littlehands on her own. But how freaked out would you be? (We're all more freaked out that roommate is talking to exboyfriend especially considering he could believe such a thing about her.)

Encores at shows - Ooh final rumination... I hate encores at shows. When I work at The Paramount, we know exactly when the artist is expected to go on and when s/he will be done with the stage. So the whole encore concept is a crock. Really the artist is just forcing us to beg for what s/he has already planned to give us. AND it wastes our time with the artist since s/he goes off stage... waits a few minutes then comes back and does 2 songs then leaves and comes back. S/he could have played a song or two in that time.

2 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I think the roommate is overreacting and might be kind of stupid.

Stephen said...

Regarding homebuying, I know what you mean about the one-time-aid thing. I was worried I'd waste it too (401k loan). I didn't use it, but looking back, the investment was worth it and I wouldn't hold it back from yourself.

As far as encores, I like the break, as it gives a bit more climax and separation to the final songs. I think the clapping continuously is kinda stupid tho, mainly cuz it hurts :)

My fave show was the Cure, when they did 3 or 4 encores, each with 3-4 songs, after playing for over 2.5 hours.