Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Make a kid happy...

Well, my older niece informed me today that she is turning fifteen. Let me pause for a moment so that can sink in. FIFTEEN! I haven't spent significant time with this kid since she was 11 (I think). How can she be fifteen already?! How does this happen? Where was I?* Anyway, I was asking her what she wanted for her birthday. "Rainbow flip flops" were her answer. Now I'm a child of the 80's so you can probably imagine what I was thinking... those webbed strap things in rainbow colors with the black rubber/(plastic?) soles, they were usually 8 bucks at K-Mart. I would be completely incorrect. Rainbow flip flops are a brand. An expensive brand. I just bought my niece $45.00 flip flops that LOOK (although these are leather so...) just like the ones we used to wear that were 8 bucks at K-Mart. However, in her own words:
Rainbows are the BIG thing out here and I tried on a Pair and they were SO COMFY!!!!!! So I want them for the confort not the whole BIG FASION THING!!!!
What's an aunt to do if not comply with the whims and wishes of nieces & nephews? Really?

She's also in a tizzy because her father (who I usually refer to as Satan) won't let her go to the prom with a kid who is 2.5 years older than she is even though he is 3rd in his class and going to the Naval Academy. Her youth pastor (?!), confirmation teacher (??!!) and another teacher are all okay with it. And he lets her do other stuff with the guy (in a group not one on one), just not THE PROM. Poor kid... I wouldn't want to be 15 again for anything. (21 on the other hand... ;) )

*As you can see, I don't cope really well with the whole aging thing. There are a lot of people in my life I don't see very often (if at all, I haven't seen this niece since her mom passed away in 02) so in my mind they are still kind of the age I last saw them. I have a hard time realizing they are older.

4 comments:

SJ said...

$45? For flip-flops? No way!

Peeved Michelle said...

Yet I still totally want a pair.

... said...

One of my neices is 19 this October (this does not reflect onto my age as her mother had her in high school). I, too, have not been able to be around her and her siblings (17 and 14) or her cousins as much as I would like, especially over the last 4 years.

I agree that not seeing them seems to make them grow up that much faster. Some kind of relative fast forward...just to mess with our heads...

Stephen said...

Oh beautiful memories, dear!

I remember shopping for ALL my clothes at k-mart. I couldn't afford the name brand stuff, and I thought it was normal to have my sneakers have slick soles within a month or two.

Oh the fabulous days of *flap flap flap* as I walked and my soles walked a step behind me ;)