Monday, April 10, 2006

3 Good Books

I've recently finished a whole glut of reading and thought I'd share in case any of y'all were looking for something good to read:

The Ha-Ha by David King: I found this book to be excellent. Basically it is about a guy who came back from Viet Nam with a massive head injury that has screwed up the language center of his brain so he cannot speak, read or write. He lives in a house with 3 other people but they all kind of do their own thing. Then he gets a call from a woman who was a girl friend before Viet Nam but now just mostly uses him and she needs him to care for her son while she is in rehab. He takes the kid in and blah blah blah Hallmark moment kind of thing. But what really makes the book is that although it is kind of a Hallmark type story, at the same time it isn't. You really get a sense of the guy's frustration at being unable to communicate even though his brain is still fully functioning. A fabulous read and I think I only spent like 2 evenings on it (evenings until 1 AM because I was so hooked).

After that I wanted something light so I went with:
Confessions of Supermom by Melanie Lynn Hauser: This was a fun book. A divorced mother of 2 hits her head after mixing a bunch of cleaning chemicals and ends up with super powers. A spongelike material on her right hand and the ability to squirt cleaning solution out of a finger. She begins cleaning up her town. Of course she ends up with an archnemesis in Lex & Patty Osborne (an homage to Superman and Spiderman perhaps? Lex Luthor and Harry Osborne) who run a local food manufacturing plant. It is funny and sweet and rather a light read.

Finally I just finished:
If You Could See Me Now by Celia Ahearn: Another cute book based in the fantastical not necessarily reality. The main character, Elizabeth, is raising her sister's son and works as an interior designer. The nephew develops an imaginary friend named Ivan. As you read you realize that Ivan's world really does exist and that imaginary friends appear to those who need them, frequently children because their minds are open to the possibility. Eventually they disappear again because their purpose to the children is finished. Except eventually Elizabeth can see him and she thinks he is a real person. And she falls for him, and he falls for her. It ends in the way it needs to but I thought it was a great book and I enjoyed every minute, especially the believing in something fantastical.

Currently I've just started the Jasper Fforde books that I couldn't find in the library last year. I'm only on like Chapter 1 of the first book but I'll let you know how I like it when I finish.

2 comments:

Kate the Peon said...

I looked for Fforde books too without luck.

Unknown said...

I love Cecilia Ahern's books. They're light enough to breeze right through, but they have just enough emotion to make you slow down a little and think.