Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Alarming!

Today my office is getting an alarm system. Sometimes I think that I missed my true calling in life. I totally should've been one of those people who works with wires and putting crap together. I'm fascinated by it all. My office holds confidential information. Tons of confidential information. Because of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, (known as HIPAA to you) my office files need to be more secure. We tried initially to get fire king file cabinets (really serious filing cabinets, difficult if not impossible to get into and fireproofed.) However, we discovered that my office (that hangs over the bookstore) would not support the weight of them. (Roughly 1500 each empty). The office would fall off the edge. It totally makes me laugh to think of that. So in compromise, I get an alarm system and the guys are in today putting it in. I'm not going to get anything done today because this is just too fascinating for words. And I checked, Michelle, no loud alarm noise will sound if I accidentally set it off, BUT public safety will come running with large flashlights bared.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Oh yes, HIPAA. I work in a hospital and deal with that all the time.

Mind Sprite said...

We do HIPPA here too. Parents get very upset when you won't tell them anything about little Johnny, even if they DO pay the bill. Unfortunately we are pretty lax about security around here. I'll have to remember to lock my filing cabinets tonight!