Monday, April 24, 2006

I'm old

It is official. At least according to one of my girls I'm old. On Thursday night I was sitting in my chair talking with my girls about our upcoming camping trip. One of them was petting my hair. She really likes it. (She's African-American, my hair has quite the different texture than hers.) So she's hanging out patting my hair and she says "Joanne, you have gray hairs." So now all the other girls have to check it out and I have 10 little eyes looking at my hair. She then says, "Joanne, you're OLD." in her cute little girl voice. And I say I'm 32 and she says that's younger than her mom. Then she throws her arms around me and says "Joanne, I don't want you to grow old." It was endearing and yet troubling at the same time. I had to shoo them all from my hair because by then it was freaking me out a little bit. Apparently it is time to dye again. I think I'm going to have to start going to an academy, I'm just not independently wealthy enough to go to a regular place. And since I like such strong colors, I'm unwilling to try it myself since if I screw it up it is expensive to fix.

5 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

Is it time to dye or is it time to die? You know, because you are old.

Rachel said...

Heehee. I have some grays and I'm 24. It happens.

Mind Sprite said...

I started getting grays at 21 and my mom at 18, so you don't have it so bad. Having dark hair makes it a lot harder to keep up though.

Jodi said...

I've started finding a few grays lately. I get highlights from time to time, but due to limited funds, I usually go way too long in between. That's when I've been finding the stray grays. Ugh. My husband has been going gray since he was 18 though and now, at 38, gets his hair dyed reguarly!

Unknown said...

I've had gray hairs since I was 16. In January, I started dying my hair because I found someone who does it very inexpensively. It looks great and I love it! I say do it. It's totally worth the feeling of knowing you look good. :)

It's funny how some girls never outgrow the desire to pet other people's hair. We have a woman on staff who "loves to pet white people's hair". It works out well for me because I love the feeling and she gets her fix.