Sunday, April 23, 2006

Oops, I should've checked before I got into it...

What a great day!

Last night I went to the slumber party with the girls at the gymnastics center. It was REALLY fun. The girls had such a great time. They did a craft, and got to jump on a trampoline and work on the bars and beam. Their favorite thing was the rope that they got to swing on and fall into a foam pit. At about 11:30 we curled up in our sleeping bags on the floor (it is a mat) to watch movies. I started to doze about 1/2 way through Chicken Little. But then something happened with aliens (I don't know) and the noise startled me awake. Then the kids watched Narnia. I was lying there with my eyes shut and dozed off again for awhile, but by the end totally startled awake. Finally at the end I think I managed to sleep but not well. I really loathe sleeping in sleeping bags, especially the one I currently sleep in. It was my fathers and the flannel inside is rather thin and it is just so constricting. Plus it was HOT in the gym. So I think I eventually ended up sleeping on top of it. I took a forever nap and am now cooking jambalaya! There were these 2 snotty girls near mine who just annoyed the shit out of me. I kept having to shush them and asked them to turn off their flashlights twice. Grr. It did remind me that when I do the encampment before both of our evening activities, I'm going to do a flashlight game (like Simon Says with flashlights and then the last 'says' is turn it off and set it beside you until it is time to leave, but it gives them the opportunity to do all that silly shit they like to do with flashlights.) There's another leader with a troop near my girls' neighborhood who has a very multi-racial troop told me that she took her kids to one of these activities and it is the whitest white activity ever. She wasn't kidding. I could count probably on 1 hand the amount of kids who weren't white out of over 100 girls. (And 3 of those are mine)

Here's where I should've checked before I started. About 3/4 ths of the way through I discovered that the pot I have is not big enough for the amount of jambalaya that I am making. So I had to wash a 2nd pot and hope I pulled about 1/3rd out to cook in a 2nd pot. This is a buttload of jambalaya. I'm excited about it though, since I like it but haven't had it since V's birthday maybe 2 years ago? Or 3. I made a non-seafood kind because I don't like shrimp. I'm very excited about this dinner!

The results: Pretty dang good. The only bad part is that not all the rice absorbed water and got soft so every once in a while I find a crunchy rice piece. Otherwise I'm pleased. I'm going to have to love it since I have a ton of it. (some of it is going in the freezer).

No comments: