Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Issues abound

First: I got an email from one of the projects that was funded through my donor's choose challenge! Yay! :) Here it is:
When I checked my e-mail, I saw the notice from Donors Choice. I was so excited!
Thank you so much for choosing to fund these materials. My students will love
watching their plants grow and learn so much more because of your generosity.
Because of summer vacation, I will have to wait until September for my
greenhouse and plant stand arrive. It will be a great welcome back gift this
fall. Thanks again. Your contribution will make a big difference in the lives of
my students.
If you're still thinking of donating, you should do it! :) (Although I realize Peeved Michelle is also running a donor's choose challenge, so there is a bit of competition there.. :) )

2 - I just discovered my niece (the older one I never see, not the younger one who is so cute and little and I see frequently because her father is not Satan) is homophobic. Completely homophobic. Thanks to her myspace page, she did one of those surveys like it was one of those if person A hooked up with person B how would you feel?? And in her case person A & Person B were both female and she'd want to vomit and it is just wrong. I don't know how to react to this. Truthfully I'm not shocked. She lives with Satan (although not for too much longer if he and boarding school have their way). She lives in North Carolina for goodness sake (not to offend those from North Carolina, but I don't really think of NC as a hotbed for liberal thought, although it is entirely possible I'm wrong about that). In reality, this doesn't effect me at all. I'm not gay. At one point I had many gay friends, but the numbers have dwindled to 0. (Acquaintances and Big R* notwithstanding). AND she is only 16. Give her a few more years and she'll be at Sarah Lawrence kissing girls herself. (Just kidding about that Sarah Lawrence thing... Maybe).

*I don't discount Big R as a friend out of malice or meanness, but the reality that once we are no longer seeing each other almost daily at lunch and he won't be living on campus and ultimately he'll have a real job wherein he can't just do what he wants all day means that the friendship will fade. That whole out of sight out of mind thing, PLUS he lives on the east side which is far for those of us (Isa & I) without cars.

No comments: