Thursday, June 08, 2006

Slow news day?

Today on the cover of the Seattle PI, there was a picture of a jar with a black widow and a whole article about it. Apparently a woman bought some grapes at the store and while washing them she discovered the spider. She caught it in a jar and took it to the zoo. The zoo official confirmed it and the woman is quoted as saying that it was very scary and how many people get to see a black widow in their lives. THEN, while watching the 11 PM news tonight, here she is again with the spider and the similar quotes. Seriously, this is news? It is entirely possible that because I'm from Arizona and I've seen more than dozens of the damn things in the house I grew up in (We knew better as children to go in the garage barefooted because of the potential) I'm jaded about them. But honestly... a spider on the front page of a major city news paper and coverage on TV? Will tomorrow's front page have an article about how Mrs. Theo Threadgoode has returned to her home in Whistle Stop after some time in the hospital?

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Wow, that was a slow news day! We have them all over the place here in Southern California (not that I'm happy about that). I've perfected a techique of killing them by dropping a shoe directly over while it's hanging upside down on it's web. I'm more scared of one biting one of my dogs than me. Ick.

Kate the Peon said...

Whistle Stop...snicker.