Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What is the word...

Michelle & I were having a discussion late yesterday about the picnic I was planning for the girls last meeting and I was having a hard time reserving a ramada. Now where I grew up a ramada was the word for the covering over one or more picnic tables. When I was searching online yesterday for one I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't find one on the Seattle City Parks website. Seattle parks must have ramadas I presumed. Well they do, but they aren't called ramadas. They call them shelters which to me is dumb because shelters (to me) imply walls. Apparently ramada's a totally regional word because even Michelle who grew up the next state over had never heard of it. So I have now reserved one in what was a far more difficult process than it should have been, but we will be able to potluck outside next Thursday for our bridging and court of awards. Hmm... how to do a bridging with no bridge? Oh and what do they call the roofs over picnic tables where you are from?

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I have no idea what to call it, but to me a Ramada is a hotel. ;-)

Robin said...

I've never heard them called that either. Here they are picnic shelters or covered picnic areas.