Monday, December 27, 2004

Day is done...

Gone the sun... From the lakes from the hills from the sky!

Ahhh days of camp memories. I wasn't planning on telling this story tonight but, for some reason it came into my head, so first a little tale (hee I almost spelled it tail which is funny considering the story) then I will regale you with my adventures of today. In my apartment, hanging on the old intercom box (no longer use intercoms here) is a kind of gross looking tie-dyed bucket hat. I love this hat because it represents one of my great unrequited loves. (That's not saying much, almost all my great 'loves' of the past have been unrequited... for some reason I and the boy never have enough balls to say what needs to be said.) Anyway, at camp for 2 years I worked with this fellow whose company I genuinely enjoyed. We had good conversations. He was, for the most part, a good person. I was smitten. :) So the 2nd year of camp, I had this hat that I would wear every day, a white bucket hat. One day, while on the lake canoeing, said hat flew off my head and landed on the water. It floated for a minute, than was run over by another canoe and sunk to the bottom. This was not a normal lake, this was a former gravel quarry. Anyone who knows about gravel quarries will know that they are bizarrely deep in some areas, so we couldn't even see it on the bottom. One day towards the end of camp, boy comes up to me bearing something in his hands. My hat. The hat I loved. He managed to fish it out of the lake. I don't know how, or how long it really took but he had it. It stunk so bad that the smell was actually indescribable. It was fishy green and brown from a month at the bottom of the lake. But I had my hat back. And after multiple washings with bleach, simple green and more bleach, it didn't stink too badly. That may be, in all honesty, the sweetest thing a guy has ever done for me. I have to point out, this is also the same guy who, when I was in a fit of rage (which is fairly rare for me) at the camp boss of the time, he walked 2 and a half miles with me to a campsite down the road and then 2 and a half miles back while I raged and fumed and eventually calmed down.

Anyway, thanks for indulging my little trip down memory lane, on with today's adventures. Got up and went to the fat chick store, which was having a sale. I was sorely disappointed with much of my choices but did end up with 4 bras (the real reason I went) a white shirt and sweater. But the trip was saved by a trip to GI Joes sports and automotive (who thought of this combination I wonder?). One thing I failed to point out about my bad Thursday was that I discovered that my absolute favorite forest green Converse Chucks have been worn through the sole. Sigh. I love these shoes. I have been wearing a pair of forest green Chucks since college. They have gotten harder to find. ANYWAY, at GI Joes Sports and Automotive I found a pair of chucks I couldn't live without. Not forest green this time, but a soft dove gray with pink accents. I lurve them. More than I should probably. I also got a new pair of workout shoes. It was a good shopping day. This evening I spent watching The Lion King (for a 2nd time in 4 days) while volunteering at the Paramount theater. It was relatively uneventful. I always wonder what people think when getting dressed up for the theater. The clothing seems to run the full gamut from almost ball gowns to sweat pants. When I was growing up, on the very rare occasions we went to the theater, it was a dress up occasion. To show respect for the show and the theater and all that, plus it was a huge treat and a huge deal. I like to see the little kids with their parents dressed in their Sunday or Christmas dresses or in their little button down shirts and sweaters with slacks. It is just the way it should be to me. Now I'm relaxing, and watching A Knight's Tale. This is another one of those things I shouldn't love but I do. I think (oh please I know) it is a Heath Ledger thing. Mmm... Heath Ledger. And for my final thought, since Sorbet is really just pureed fruit with some sweetener and then frozen, wouldn't it always be fat free? My raspberry sorbet is proudly proclaiming this. I don't get it, but it is damn yummy.

No comments: