Monday, July 12, 2004

Arrrgghh!!! Some people!

You ever have one of those people in your life who just know which buttons to push and pushes them. I've just had a rather long IM convo with someone who does just that. It started out with a conversation about my sex life... big surprise considering who this was... He doesn't grasp why I'm not a big fan of the one night stand. I'm 30 fucking years old... don't you grow out of that shit eventually? (holy cow there'll be much swearing because he has agitated me so much which of course leads me to the questions of 1 - why do I let him piss me off and 2 - let's consider who this person is before I take his opinions seriously enough to make me this angry.) So then we were talking about volunteering and why do I volunteer so much. He knows that money is tight in my world so his simplistic answer is to get a 2nd job or a better 1st job. These are not bad ideas... and not ones that I haven't tried. So I think my agitation comes from two different areas. I can't find a 2nd job and his implication that it should be so easy I should be able to just put my hand out there and anyone is dying to hire me. Let's look at how long it took me to find the 1st job that I have. Eight months to find a job that I hated and over a year to find this one that I like (and if my boss would just accept her destiny to be a stay at home mom I could have her job). I have to back up though before the job convo we were having a discussion about homelessness. He apparently has read a statistic wherein so many homeless choose this lifestyle. While I do not doubt that there are plenty of people on the streets who choose this way, I sincerely doubt the estimated 40% of the homeless population that are FAMILIES choose this route. The fact that to afford a 1 bedroom apartment at fair market value on the average wage right now a person would have to work 89 hours per week... PER WEEK! His answer... they can get two jobs. If they can't find the first job how in the hell will they find a 2nd job? AND if they have children (either singly or with a spouse) who the hell takes care of the kids while they are working these 89 hours per week to pay for their 1 bedroom apartment... When I also pointed out that the homeless have a hard time finding jobs since they don't have an address or phone number to put down... use their welfare checks to get a cellphone. OK... Homeless individuals (approximately 60% of the homeless population) don't get welfare. You have to have kids. And for the average cellphone company, they like an address for you the subscriber. I've forgotten how damn easy it is when you work for the same place you worked for in college! which was 7 years ago! He apparently did work a brief time for someone else... but now... back for the same housing office from his college days. GAH! He was rather surprised to find that if V hadn't gotten this job he just got, V would join that homeless statistic. Michelle (who hopefully doesn't mind too much that I am using her name in vain) looked for quite a while before she got the new job she has now... and part of the thing (but not all of the thing since she really is anal enough to be very good at what she does) that helped her with this job is that she works with people who knew her at her other job lending at least a bit of truth to the "it is who you know". Maybe part of the reason that I get so agitated is that at least on the job front (not on the sex front... his views on sex and my views are about as far apart as possible) is that some of it is what I think. I do think I should get a 2nd job... It does bother me that I owe as much as I do. So hearing it from someone who already annoys me periodically doesn't help. Gah... why do I even bother talking to him? That's the ultimate question.

3 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

I can't believe that you let him waste that much of your time baiting you and pissing you off. You know that half the time he doesn't even believe the shit he says. He just says it to get a rise out of you. He will never advance beyond the drinking, whoring college guy we knew him as. His unchanging ways will continue to hold him back from having a happy life. There is no way whatsoever that you should put any stock into anything he says that doesn't have to do with housing, vending machines, hunting or whoring.

Peeved Michelle said...

If I hadn't known someone here at the new job who I kept in touch with mostly for the purpose of future job referrals, I would still be working at the old job, losing my hair and drinking at lunch.

TIMMY! said...

i think its very cool that you volunteer your time.