Friday, July 09, 2004

Phone Numbers

Apparently the person who had the phone number before me had issues. For months after I just moved in, I would get calls for him from all sorts of far away places like Chicago. We would have to go through a series of questions and answers, where I would say "No I'm afraid you have the wrong number." And the caller would say something like... "Well is this 206-555-5555" and I would say "Yes but no one by that name lives here." And then they would ask randomly if I knew where the guy went... "Um no, I don't." "Okay thank you." Then the person would finally hang up. (I know I know I could've hung up right after the i'm afraid you have the wrong number but I'm polite on the phone.) So today I get a message on my voicemail telling me to call "Miss King" at an 800 number. I have no idea who Miss King would be and what she would want but for some reason instead of ignoring it like I usually would, I called. It is apparently the court house or some variation of the courthouse. They were looking for the guy who had my old phone number possibly because he owes them money. So when I called I get surly courthouse worker who says "What number did Miss King call you at" and I told her. She said do you know Joe whateverhislastnameis? And I replied no and she said oh we have the wrong number then. And that was that. I was a bit nervous, though, because the place I called came across as very official and for a brief second I thought there had been some snag in my deferral of my speeding ticket of almost a year ago. I think Miss King isn't a real person, but like a code... I wonder what that guy did.

1 comment:

TIMMY! said...

I like talking to people i don't know on the phone...especailly wrong numbers.