Saturday, May 13, 2006

Food drive

Unfortunately this year our post office did worse than last. We only filled up 3 totes, but it seemed like there was a lot more canned goods and so that was good. I was the only volunteer to show up so it was me and the employee from Food Lifeline the whole time. That was fine, actually, since the downtown branch is mostly businesses with neighborhoods like mine and Belltown thrown in it isn't like we need a lot of people to do nothing. :) I'm always fascinated by what people donate. It makes me a bit sad to see how much top ramen gets donated. I know it is cheap and all but seriously... that shit has NO nutritional value whatsoever. In the question of food or starving I suppose it is better than starving, but really... Some times I think that this volunteer project is just an opportunity for me to be nosy. :) I like to see what people donate. Plenty donate just normal stuff. I can kind of tell what neighborhoods things are coming from. Belltown has no regular grocery store, just a specialty kind so there was a lot of fancy schmancy food from that area. Someone got rid of the rest of her (I assume her) nutrisystem meals. I don't know why that made me chuckle but it did. I think we only did about 3,000 lbs this time compared to 3,500 last year.

I bought a new type of bread mix awhile ago and it has a pizza crust recipe on the side. I tried it tonight. I loved how easy it was to work with and not at all sticky like my crust usually is. I was totally able to roll it out without having to put it between 2 sheets of parchment paper. But it is weirdly sweeter than usual but pretty tasty still. I liked it.

There was a sign downstairs when I came home about an all tenant barbecue tomorrow. It is good because this means I'll actually eat lunch tomorrow, but it is weird. I've lived here almost 4 years and we have never done anything with all the tenants. Hell, I only know on sight a few of them. The rest are complete mysteries to me. (Of course I don't like people so that contributes to it I'm sure. :) ) I think I'll go, though. Part of the whole forcing myself to do things I wouldn't ordinarily do because it might actually be good for me thing. I might even have a hamburger bun in the freezer. :)

No comments: