Sunday, May 07, 2006

Movies!

I went and saw V for Vendetta yesterday. It was excellent. I don't know what I thought the movie was about, but it wasn't what I saw. For some reason I thought she was V and she was avenging someone else. I had no idea. From V's opening speeches I was transfixed by the guy. His opening monologue when he saved the girl was brilliant, I don't know if that's lifted straight from the books or from the writers of the movie, but once I picked up on it I was hooked. And now that I know that V was played by the same guy as the one who was one of the drag queens in Priscilla Queen of the Desert, I'm even more amazed. I really like Natalie Portman but I am starting to believe the reviews I've read of her being a bit wooden. I thought she was a tiny bit stiff in this too.

I watched The Interpreter last night. I had wanted to see it before and finally caught it on cable last night. I liked it too. It moved quickly and kept my interest. Up until the end, I had no idea what was going to happen. Nicole Kidman was electrifying. Just the right mix of quiet desperation and fear. I don't remember if I heard good things about the movie, but maybe that helped me to like it more.

This morning I watched Something the Lord Made. It is an HBO movie starring the brilliant Alan Rickman and quietly powerful Mos Def. Basically it chronicles the partnership between Rickman and Def as the doctor and his assistant who pioneered heart surgery. They saved blue babies through their amazing techniques. I really enjoyed it too and highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I really enjoyed V also. Yes, Hugo Weaving did the voice of V (originally it was someone else). He was also Agent Smith in the Matrix movies, Elrond in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Rex, the sheep dog in Babe--one of my favorites!