Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I can no longer scoff at the word chiropractor

Yesterday I did that thing... that thing I sometimes do without knowing it is about to happen and I caused a twinge in my back that built itself into full fledged OHMYGODIAMGOINGTODIE back pain. So yesterday I went to the chiropractor after work. She did some things and did a popping thing that caused me to yelp in pain and my feet to (what's the word... when something does it of its own volition) well I guess it was my knees to bend and my feet went flying up because damn that hurt. And getting off the table it didn't feel any better and I went home. (And I ate a McDonald's Big & Tasty burger with no bun even though McDonalds is the antithesis of the Sustainability Challenge and damn it was good). As I was home I realized I actually felt better. There was a little pain but I could move. Yay!

Fast forward to this morning when I woke up. I was lying in bed and I felt no pain. Yay. Silly me. I got out of bed and discover I can't stand up straight. I can barely stand up at all without support. I wall surf (for those who have had small children it was similar to the furniture surfing your toddlers do when learning to walk) to the bathroom. Where I discover (and much to my own embarrassment I'm going to share it with you all) that I can't wipe my own ass because I can't bend right to do it. Do you have any idea how frustrating that is? So I hop in the shower and manage to take a shower but drop both the soap and my toothbrush. I can't bend to pick up the soap but luckily I have shower gel on the edge of the tub that I can use. (I had finished brushing my teeth so I just left it in the tub.) I get dressed very slowly and painfully and am completely unable to bend to put on socks, so I'm wearing my Danskos without them. I then head out the door to walk to work. I had to use the walls to stand up so I go back into my apartment where I cried for a good 5 minutes - full blown sobbing. I then stop and pick myself up by my boot straps and head out the door where I slowly and painfully begin the walk to work, the whole time reciting "There's Aleve in your desk in the office. You can have it when you get there." to myself to keep me motivated. Forty minutes later I get to work. (It is a 1/2 mile to my office. Usually I can do it in 20 minutes.) As I had been moving, I was feeling a tiny bit less painful and stiff, but it was still seriously bad. The moving thing was the whole reason I went to work to begin with. I had orientation this morning but I also know (from past experience) that a big part of the stiffness and pain is due to inactivity so if I were just to lay around at home all day it would be infinitely worse than if I forced myself to move.

So at 1:30 I catch a bus to the chiropractor where she does some things that seem like they don't do anything at all. I mean honestly... a little pushing here a little pushing there. What is she doing?! And then she does a side adjustment on both sides (where that I knew what she was doing. I do it myself to pop my back periodically). And although I'm not great, I can move. It is all very exciting. Although now I'm afraid to go to bed. :) Also I'm ordering a memory foam matress topper because several coworkers say they are awesome.

4 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

That sucks so much.

Chicken said...

I've had back problems off and on for years. I've also had different Chiroprators. I honestly believe that massage is mandatory with adjustments.

I have a memory foam topper on my bed and it is awesome. I got it costco for a pretty good price.

Unknown said...

Ugh. That sounds like major back pain. :( I hope the second trip to the chiropractor managed to fix it. I swear by the chiro.

Stephen said...

I had no idea when we met up. You're a heart saver for going out with me anyway. *big comfy relaxing squishy hugs*