Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Not cut out to be a veggie...

So y'all know how yesterday was vegetarian day for Joanne. Here's what I've learned. I can't be a vegetarian. I spent most of yesterday STARVING. I know that there are other sources of protein besides meat and I truthfully wasn't consuming them. My goal was mostly 'not eat meat' not 'not eat meat and replace the missing meat with something more substantial.' For breakfast I had 2 pieces of GF orange poppyseed loaf. It was delish but by 10:30 I was STARVING. I ate my lunch at 12 which was GF pasta with spaghetti sauce. I also had some pop corn. By 4:30 when I left work what was I?... STARVING. So I went home and had dinner of cheese pizza and a GF cupcake. This morning when I woke up... STARVING. :) So I just ate bacon and sausage and hashbrowns and I'm feeling decidedly better. I know if I had incorporated beans or peanut butter or cheese into my regime I would've done better. I can't have many of the meat free "meat" products because they tend to use wheat gluten as a binder to hold whatever it is made from together. I am unwilling to eat beans because in a past volunteering gig I spent 20 + minutes on my hands and knees on the floor of a gym scraping smashed beans off the floor. Even the smell makes me want to gag. Peanut butter I can do. :) So 5 more veggie days in the next 5 and a half weeks. I'll try to better next time. :)

5 comments:

... said...

Also if you eat some fat, it will help you feel fuller...cheese and nuts can do that...

Peeved Michelle said...

Ya, what Mishka said.

Stephen said...

I can empathize with what you say. I've been veggie for years and I still feel hungry sometimes.

However ~ I now realize that I'm hungry because I don't always eat the right nutrients, in the right quantities. Your body is telling you that it needs more nutrients.

Cheese/dairy is definitely a big help. I sometimes have to eat a few yogurts, but it does the trick. Potatoes also help.

A simple solution is to fill up on meat, and that's fine, but meat != nutrients :)

Kate the Peon said...

Sometimes I go days as a vegetarian without even trying. You can do it, I know it!

ren said...

are you anti-tofu? because that might help and you can kind of just chuck it in with your cheeses if you make something like pizza and you probably won't even notice.

ooh, how about quinoa? that has protein and it's easy to make but it looks kinda...odd sometimes.