Saturday, December 17, 2005

Big gay cowboy movie

I went and saw the big gay cowboy movie with a couple of friends tonight. Big R was very excited to see this movie and bought the tickets like a week ago. First thing, since we are a 'select city' it hasn't been released nationwide yet, there was a line. I got there an hour early so I could stand in this line. Already I might be a tiny bit grumpy. Especially since the gays can never start anything on time. We must be fashionably late. (Ok this may not actually have anything to do with the gays. It is totally the theater's fault. But the movie was supposed to start at 9:50, at 10:00 we were still standing outside in line.

It should've dawned on me when I was reading about the movie that Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams are married in the movie. I know I actually read that somewhere but it didn't permeate into my fuzzy little brain that this is basically a movie about extra-marital affairs. I am completely against a movie whose sole story is basically an affair under the guise of a 'love story.' I wouldn't have watched this if I had realized that. Also it is long and depressing. And although Heath Ledger does a great job acting, he is nearly incomprehensible. He cannot rid himself of that dead sexy Australian accent so it was weird. The cinematography is amazing. Fabulous. Gorgeous even. All in all, I'm glad I saw it. I probably won't ever see it again, but I mostly enjoyed it.

3 comments:

Kate the Peon said...

How much of the movie takes place after the guys get married? Because their love story is that first, and then turns into an affair. I'd be curious how much time they're given together 'pre-marriage.'

And do Heath & Michelle have any chemistry together? She just had his baby in real life.

Peeved Michelle said...

You should read the short story. It's really good.

Joanne said...

They spend the summer alone together on the mountain before Heath goes and gets married that November.

The rest takes place after both boys are married.

As to the chemistry... It is hard to say since their movie relationship is rocky.