Thursday, December 29, 2005

We partied A Z style.

And that means quiet and kind of less than thrilling. In one last round of sisterly bonding before I leave, the kid & I went out to the bars last night. This was difficult mostly because we couldn't find a place to go. The year I lived here after college (so after I was 21) I never went out. I taught school and sometimes in the evenings I worked at the group home (developmentally disabled adults) but that was about it. My sister has never lived here when she has been old enough to drink, so where to go was a distinct problem. I consulted with Citysearch but that was no good because we're too small a town to have much info. I did manage to find one review of one bar in town and we did go there for a little while. More on that place in a moment. We consulted with my nephew (who is 19 but does work in retail and maybe those people talk to him) who gave a suggestion. We also tried there. The night: a recap.

We started out at Famous Sams because, I'd been there once before and I knew they had pool. The nephew also recommended it. I didn't want to go to a stand and look pretty bar, although in retrospect I don't think the SV has those. So we went and sat at the bar and I had 2 drinks and the kid had a beer. Our tab was 8 bucks. One drink at the gay bar runs about 6 - 7 bucks so this 8 dollar for 3 drink bartab shocked me. I didn't know it was possible. Of course the drinks TASTED like they were only worth 2 & 3 dollars so there is that. It's been awhile since I've a drink that was truly only 1 shot of alcohol. :) We left there after that and headed to another bar. A real live saloon.

The Sorry Gulch Saloon is a staple here. It's been in business I think forever and when you go in it looks it. Outside there was a sign advertising that Exotic Dancers would be there tonight! Whee. How lucky for us. We went in and each had a screwdriver (at 4.50 each). I'm not 100% sure it was worth it. But we sat at the bar and people watched. There was this guy there who looked like the woman was giving him chiropractic adjustment based on the weird things she was doing to him. She looked like she was probably one of the exotic dancers based on her ensemble. One finally got up on the "stage" and danced around the stripper pole. Seriously, I could've done better. She was not especially good at dancing, she was not well endowed and she didn't remove any clothing. It was probably a good thing that there was no cover. We left shortly after we finished our drinks. We did see what was probably the most stereotypical Hollywoodesque pimp ever known to man. Think that episode of King of the Hill where Hank hires a prostitue and that guy comes in to town looking for her. He was with the bad exotic dancer.

Finally we went to the International Karaoke bar. We each had a shot of cherry pucker and then a soda. We played some pool. I went over and consulted the juke box... Voltaire! it made me sad. It was almost exclusively country western music. I managed to find about 6 CDs total that weren't and played 4 non country songs. I noticed after we were done playing pool and headed into the Karaoke part that the music went back to being country. What's wrong with Nirvana? :) We sat down to watch karaooke and were subject to about 10 country or bad ballads. About 7 of those were done by what I dubbed the Karaoke princess. She was blond and sang in this wispy bad voice. Sometimes she dueted with this other guy. There were two others in the group who would venture up to sing, both women, both much much better. Then the goth kids came in. About 6 - 7 of them and they signed up to sing. And most of them were pretty good. And they sang songs I knew! Yay! It was kind of funny to watch the Karaoke princess get more and more agitated while they were there. I don't think she sang again while we were there. It got to be pretty fun there because on some level karaoke is always kind of fun. At about 1:15 I convinced my sis that I was tired and we headed home.

No comments: