Thursday, December 15, 2005

Carless in Seattle

It's been 2 years since the brakes died on the beloved Bronco and I made the surprisingly difficult decision to go completely carless. I don't look back with any regret though. I now do a lot of public transportation and Flexcar. I have some free time coming to me on Flexcar so I am thinking of going for Gluten Free food this weekend. I wouldn't go if I didn't have the free time, but since I do, I may as well use it. :) It expires the end of December and I leave next Saturday so...

One thing I've noticed now that I don't drive very often. I'm becoming a bad driver. Maybe bad isn't the right word, but I'm becoming overly cautious. And that overcaution means, at least to the drivers on the freeway, bad. I was never a great driver. I was a good driver, but not necessarily a great driver(to my way of thinking anyway, but good/bad driver is all relative. I think Michelle is a bad driver, but I know she considers herself to be a great driver and thinks I'm a terrible driver. Of course she zooms up and down the freeways of LA with all the other LA drivers, and I drive on 1 freeway in Seattle so... Relative.) Now I get too nervous when I'm on the freeway. I don't like it. I am not sure how to fix this. Part of the overcaution is the knowledge that if I damage the flexcar in any way, there is a $500 deductible. I don't have 500 bucks floating about. Of course in retrospect, I never wrecked the Bronco in the 5 or 6 years I drove it. I've never been in an accident on the freeway. The last car accident I was involved in was when I was in high school. So in reality, the odds are good I won't be involved in an accident on the freeway. But trying to convince my brain that seems to be a whole other Oprah.

I got my flexcar bill in the mail yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Sometimes when I know I'm not going to make my end time, I call and extend the time. That's usually not a big deal. This time it was. I was late and there was someone waiting for the car. I called and talked to the operator and he called the person and I was only about 8 minutes late, but late is late. I was expecting a bigger fine. I thought it was like $25. It was only $10. Still, it is a waste of money, but not as bad as I expected. I think I never really read my Flexcar terms & agreements since this is twice I've been wrong on numbers. I used to think the deductable was $750.

3 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

Where you call yourself "an overly-cautious driver," I say, "nervous driver." Where you say, "bad driver," about me, I say, "confident driver." Though I do admit to my propensity for road rage. I am working on it with my therapist: cherry rum.

Jodi said...

I've wondered about that FlexCar thing. I think it's a good concept. I don't think too many people in L.A. use it.

... said...

I would wonder how well it would work in LA...seems so spread out.