Monday, August 23, 2004

Ethical Contemplation Du Jour

So here's the scenario... What would you do?

You are selling your older kinda beat up SUV privately. You have someone come over, a grandmother and her grandson, who looks at the car and likes it and offers you 1500 for it. This is 200 less than you are asking for it, but you want to sell to move on to your next car so you accept. However, you do know that the reason you are selling it is that it has an issue that if it was repaired would be a roughly $500 fix, but if it breaks will be several thousand dollars to fix. Grandmother asks about the noise said car makes (the repair that needs to happen). Do you...
A - Fess up about repair car is going to need in the future.
B - Have already come clean early on about this issue so just say that's the issue we already spoke of.
C - Lie and say you have no idea. Since Granny isn't asking for a mechanic to go over it before she purchases it, it is her loss.

I know my answer and I'm just trying to gauge if I am a weirdo or not...

1 comment:

Peeved Michelle said...

It could be any of them for me:
A- If I hadn't already mentioned it per B and I was asked a direct question, I would likely answer it honestly, stating what the problem is but still trying to downplay the severity of the cost.
B- Depending on how I was feeling on that particularly day, I reasonably could have been upfront from the start about the issue.
C- Again, depending on how I was feeling that day, I might lie about it. This is less likely than the other two, though, because for so little money it wouldn't be worth the guilt this lie would generate.