Sunday, August 29, 2004

Singing

True story: Once upon a time I was a freshman in college. I was lying on my bed, headphones on, Pearl Jam's 10 blaring through my walkman (yes boys and girls this was BEFORE the proliferation of CD players) and singing along at what was probably the top of my lungs. My friend Shelley, who roomed with my Vermont friend Kate whom I've mentioned a couple of times here, walked in and without a word, took the tape out of my tape player and then walked back across the hall. At no time does she say anything to me. I, of course, hop off my bunk and wander across the hall after her. She says to me, "Joanne, I'm sorry, I had to do it, you sound like a dead baby dying." That's some pretty harsh singing criticism. That's on par with good ol' Simon Cowell, but she's right. I can't sing. I know it, but I refuse to accept it. I started doing dishes tonight about 7ish and was listening to a wide range of MP3's on my laptop while doing them and singing along. After I was done with the dishes, instead of turning on the TV, I just kept listening to music and singing along. My throat hurts. Apparently that's another downfall of all this singing... I am slightly amazed that for the past 4 hours, I've not repeated a single cut in my current play list. A sampling of what I'm singing along to (in case you care)
Tatu: All the things she said, Not gonna get us & How soon is now.
Evanescence: Haunted, Imaginary, My Tourniquet, Whisper & Bring Me To Life
Pearl Jam (still love em after all these years) Master's of war, Elderly woman behind the counter in a small town
Puff Daddy Feat. Jimmy Page: Come with me
Puddle of mudd: Blurry & Control
Dave Matthews Band: Crash, Devil Went Down To Georgia (feat. Blues Traveler)
Duran Duran: Wild Boys
System of a down: Toxicity, Ariels & Chop Suey (one of my favorites)
Joan Osborne: St. Theresa

1 comment:

Peeved Michelle said...

I am quite impressed with you diverse musical tastes. I am going to have to get a lot of MP3s from you next time I visit.