Thursday, August 26, 2004

Scent

You know how taking a whiff of something can take you back to years past where you may have first smelled it? Today as I was drying my hair in the gym (note to self, if I ever own my own home I am so buying one of those industrial hand driers and installing it high up to dry my hair... I LOVE THAT!) I caught a whiff of something I have not had to suffer through in years... One of the Eastern European Swimming Women (EESW for future reference) had used rose perfume! When I was in college I lived across the hall from CindyLouhoo... Or really her name was just Cindy. She was a bit off, had FAE (Fetal Alcohol Effects for those without the benefit of having lived in Alaska and gotten a degree in something that would tell you all the details you need to know about it) and was a native adopted by a white family (ok most of those mundane details are fairly unnecessary to the story). She also had a penchant for rose perfume. All rose perfume all the time. She STANK of it. She frequently reapplied (we believe before she left the room every time she left the room). And as a result our hallway stunk of rose perfume (when it didn't stink of burnt popcorn, the kitchen being next door to Cindylouhoo or tanning moosehide which she also did in her dorm room). In just a few minutes, I was transported back to standing in the hallway with the rose perfume stink all around me. Then I thought.. Damnit another reason to hate Eastern European Swimming Women.

I think I'm going to field trip to a fabric store this weekend and pick up some fabric and a simple pattern to try out my new pre-owned sewing machine. Just a simple skirt or dress nothing with sleeves since I'm so not there yet and looking at my drawstring pants, I may not be skirt/sundress yet either. :) I also need to buy fusable webbing to start my real sewing project... my quilt. I'll keep ya posted. :)

No comments: