Sunday, September 05, 2004

Kazaa

So today I field tripped up to V's apartment with the intent of sharing music files with my 'friends'. V has DSL whilst I remain in the dark ages with dial up connection at home. Why do I need to pay the small fortune when computer geek upstairs has the whole set up and I can just carry Jakob (laptop yes he has a name, it is necessary to use it when he does something I don't like or to beg him to do something correctly.) upstairs and do it there. So today I go up and we make breakfast (mmm thick bacon and hashbrowns) and I do some downloading. I've never used Kazaa before, preferring Morpheus. I pulled Morpheus (and it's annoying ad server Gain) off sometime last year so I downloaded Kazaa (and it's annoying adserver Gain) today to see if it was any better. The answer... I don't know. The music that was recent that I tried to pull, Broken by Seether featuring Amy Lee of Evanesence and Maroon 5 did not download cleanly. Broken has a weird doorbell sound running through it, presumably to discourage illegal downloads. :) Two out of the 3 Maroon 5 tracks cut out mid way through the song. The 3rd Maroon 5 song I haven't listened to yet because it downloaded as a Window's Media File and the player & converter that came with my MP3 Player does not recognize Window's Media Files. The others that I downloaded, Fuel, Smile Empty Soul, The Rasmus and an obscure version of XTC's Dear God by Sarah McLachlan (which sums up fairly nicely my whole view on why I'm an athiest) all downloaded with no problem. Something Crazy by Franky Perez also downloaded without issue. Which brings me to the question... is it just the more unusual stuff that worked or did I just manage to find crap sources for Maroon 5 (same source for all 3 songs) and Broken? Hmmm... Also if you are smart enough to know how to convert a Window's Media File to an MP3 I would love to know how to do it! I have a windows media player but the MP3 'jukebox' extension won't let the regular music play on it. Ahh... V, a long time Kazaa user, has confirmed for me that newer and popular stuff gets interference from Kazaa somehow... Hence, Maroon 5 and Broken being newer and more commercially viable than say Sarah McLachlan's Dear God gets interference. Even the Franky Perez and The Rasmus songs are newer but not so popular so I got them with no problem. Interesting. I don't know if Morpheus has that little trick to it. Maybe this is how they shut up the RIAA. Also, it is a good thing I posted how I got rid of the mysearch toolbar way back when since Kazaa installed that piece of crap for me too.

In other random news... I mentioned briefly a blue shirt I got some bleach on and bleached those 3 spots white... I tried to bleach the whole stupid shirt... no dice. I think I have to use full strength bleach not diluted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw that 90210 episode yesterday too! Agreed, that'd be messy. And painful.

Christian Slater was yummy. He's the sole reason I love 'Heathers' so much.

I'm in the dark ages with dial up as well. Long live the modem! :)