Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Shouting

I am by nature, not a person who enjoys loudness (except in my music). The TV is frequently too loud for me and I’m constantly turning it down. The Brownie meetings in the echo room kill me. Imagine my chagrin when I had to spend an hour yelling at a 77 year old employee in my office last week. I was hoarse by the end of it. Now before you get all het up because I’m shouting at a kindly 77 year old man you must understand something. The man cannot hear. At all. It was exhausting and I felt a little bad about shouting at him. I grew up with that whole respect your elders thing so talking to this guy like I’m an American tourist in France – slowly and loudly – was exhausting. The reason I’m bringing this up… he’s coming in again tomorrow. Apparently the hour we spent and the sheet I typed up summarizing our conversation was not enough. He has more questions. I’m frightened. Very frightened. I hope he remembers his microphone thing this time.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

Hah.Fucking.Ha.Ha.

That 'cannot hear. At All' bit cracked me up!

Why don't you bring in one of those portable dry-erase boards and write in big print letters.

And if he has trouble reading, you can start doodling instead :)

I feel your pain though. I had to dictate and transcribe about 20 pages of unreadable, non-book-learned 95 year old scribblings about 10 years ago. It was the lifestory of my great-great-uncle. Suffice to say, his memory was shot, and the stories were pretty chaotic :) But he died a few years ago, and I feel lucky to have been given the chance.

You should feel lucky too.

You.ungrateful.elder-abusing.wench.

kisses...

Peeved Michelle said...

Just write that shit down. And what the hell does he do there, anyway?

Cindy-Lou said...

Yes, but imagine how you look to him. Standing there, leaning over him, yelling your head off. Probably spitting a little with the effort of yelling. That's funny stuff.