Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Just get by

Today MP & I went to the lesbian bar for Taco Tuesday. Since it is the first Tuesday of the month it was also smoke free day in the bar so we were in there for tacos and Phase 10. I beat MP at Phase 10. He will claim I cheated. Maybe I AM ever so clever that I am able to cheat, but he'll never know. :)

As we were sitting there eating tacos, I was eavesdropping on the conversation going on behind me. Two older women were discussing one's job. I would wager they were between 10 - 15 years older than me. She is apparently going to be working 16 hours per week at xyz company and this will allow her to "just get by" and she's pleased with this. This is the part I got confused about. How can a person be pleased with just getting by? She mentioned she would be getting a roommate for her 1 bedroom apartment to help in this process. I can't fathom what it would be like to have a roommate in a 1 bedroom apartment. Especially at 40ish. I will freely admit I don't have lofty goals. I don't want to be executive VP of HR some day or anything like that. Hell, I'm not even 100% sure I want to do what I'm doing for the next 30 years. But in 10 years, I definitely don't want to be just getting by.

1 comment:

Peeved Michelle said...

People have different ideas of success and happiness. I agree with you, though, that is not mine.